|• Total||0.24 sq mi (0.62 km2)|
|• Land||0.24 sq mi (0.62 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||564 ft (172 m)|
|• Density||781.51/sq mi (301.45/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2395016|
Marquand is a small city located in eastern Madison County, Missouri, United States. The population was 186 at the 2020 census. Marquand was officially recognized and incorporated as a town in 1906.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 203 people, 92 households, and 56 families living in the city. The population density was 845.8 inhabitants per square mile (326.6/km2). There were 108 housing units at an average density of 450.0 per square mile (173.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 100.00% White. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.49% of the population.
There were 92 households, of which 37.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.4% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.1% were non-families. 34.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.80.
The median age in the city was 40.5 years. 23.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 21.1% were from 25 to 44; 32.5% were from 45 to 64; and 13.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.7% male and 49.3% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 251 people, 95 households, and 66 families living in the city. The population density was 1,035.6 inhabitants per square mile (399.8/km2). There were 124 housing units at an average density of 511.6 per square mile (197.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.21% White, 0.40% Native American, 0.40% Asian, 0.40% from other races, and 1.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.20% of the population.
There were 95 households, out of which 35.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.3% were married couples living together, 15.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.5% were non-families. 28.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the city the population was spread out, with 31.9% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 28.7% from 25 to 44, 17.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females, there were 69.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 72.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $19,861, and the median income for a family was $25,000. Males had a median income of $30,341 versus $12,083 for females. The per capita income for the city was $8,533. About 25.0% of families and 32.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 50.0% of those under the age of eighteen and 27.5% of those 65 or over.
The Marquand-Zion R-VI School District runs throughout most of eastern and southeastern Madison County and serves the educational needs of the town's residents and nearby. A small, rural school, the district consists of one elementary and one consolidated junior-senior high school. According to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, there was a total of 184 students and 35 certified staff members enrolled in the Marquand-Zion R-VI School District during the 2008–2009 school year. The school colors are purple and gold and its mascot is the tiger. Athletics offered in the school district include boys' basketball and baseball, girls' volleyball, and cheerleading.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Marquand, Missouri
- "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 28, 2022.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved January 14, 2022.
- Marquand, Missouri, 7.5 Minute Topographic Quadrangle, USGS, 1980
- Missouri Atlas & Gazetteer, DeLorme, 1998, First edition, p. 57, ISBN 0-89933-224-2
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on January 25, 2012. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- "Madison County Place Names, 1928–1945". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Archived from the original on June 24, 2016. Retrieved October 31, 2016.
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved October 31, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 8, 2012.